- Operations Division
- Firearms Application Processing Unit
- Application for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
Application for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
The firearms application for an Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and Permit to Purchase a Handgun is now electronic. For additional information on the Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and Permit to Purchase a Handgun process, click here.
The application process for a Permit to Carry a handgun is still on paper.
YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON VIA APPOINTMENT ONLY.
Westfield Police Department Firearms Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org or 908-789-6054
The following instructions are the same for the initial and renewal application.
Download the necessary forms:
- Permit to Carry a Handgun SP642 (PDF) (Rev. 01/23) This is a fillable PDF form and you can complete it online or print it out and complete it by hand. This form also needs to be notarized
- Consent for Mental Health Records Search SP066 (PDF) (Rev. 07/19)This is a fillable PDF form and you can complete it online or print it out and complete it by hand.
(If these forms do not load correctly, you may need to right click and select Save link as to download the form instead.)
Bring the following items to your appointment:
- Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Passport OR Driver’s License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card.
- Your physical Firearms ID Card or a printed copy of your electronic Firearms ID Card.
- The Permit to Carry a Handgun SP642 (Rev. 01/23) form.
- Two (2) color passport photos according to photo requirements listed on the US Department of State website.
- The Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP066 (Rev. 07/19).
- Submit proof of qualification with a certified firearms instructor along with firearms instructor proof of certification.
- Money order in the amount of $50.00 payable to: “New Jersey State Police."
- Check, cash or money order in the amount of $150.00 payable to: "Westfield Police Department."
You will need four (4) references:
- Please have four (4) people complete the electronic reference form located at www.wpdnj.org/reference
In the near future, as per NJ Bill A-4769, you will also be required to purchase insurance. Please check back at a later time for additional information.
** ALL APPLICANTS (INITIAL AND RENEWAL) FOR PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN MUST BE FINGERPINTED. INSTRUCTIONS FOR FINGER PRINTING WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.
** THE REQUIRED WRITTEN FIREARMS QUALIFICATION, IN ACCORDANCE WITH N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B), CAN BE OBTAINED AT MOST FIREARM RANGES THROUGH OUT THE STATE. A LIST IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE NJSP WEBSITE. https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/shooting-ranges.shtml **
** A NEW JERSEY PERMIT TO CARRY IS VALID FOR TWO (2) YEARS FROM TIME OF APPROVAL.
** IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.
The New Jersey State Police website provides information on the New Jersey firearms laws, transportation of firearms, and frequently asked questions. The site can be found by following this link: www.njsp.org/firearms
The United States Bureau of Alcohol, tobacco, and Explosives provides additional information on Federal Firearms and explosive laws via the following link: www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers