Application for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
The firearms application for an Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and Permit to Purchase a Handgun is now electronic. For additional information on the Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and Permit to Purchase a Handgun process, click here.
The application process for a Permit to Carry a handgun is still on paper.
YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON VIA APPOINTMENT ONLY.
Westfield Police Department Firearms Unit: email@example.com or 908-789-6054
The following instructions are the same for the initial and renewal application.
Download the necessary forms:
- State of New Jersey Application for Permit to Carry a Handgun SP642 (PDF) This is a fillable PDF form and you can complete it online or print it out and complete it by hand. You will need three (3) completed copies of this form and it MUST BE PRINTED DOUBLE SIDED. Single sided forms will be rejected by the State of New Jersey. These forms also need to be notarized
- Consent for Mental Health Records Search SP066 (PDF) You will only need one of these forms and you can complete it online or print it out and complete it by hand.
Bring the following items to your appointment:
- Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Passport OR Driver’s License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card
- Your physical Firearms ID Card or a printed copy of your electronic Firearms ID Card.
- Three (3) State of New Jersey Applications For Permit To Carry A Handgun, form SP642. Must be double sided and notarized.
- Four (4) color 1.5 inch x 1.5 inch photos according to passport photo requirements listed on the US Department of State website. (Please note that passport photos are 2 inches x 2 inches and can NOT be accepted.)
- Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP066.
- Written proof of ownership and qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying
- Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt or purchase permit or a notarized letter of ownership listing make, model, and serial number of handgun(s).
- Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and include instructors name and certification, make, model, caliber and serial number of handgun(s) you intend to carry.
- Money Order in the amount of $50.00 payable to; “Treasurer, State of New Jersey”
You will need three (3) references:
- Please have three (3) people complete the electronic reference form located at www.wpdnj.org/reference.
** ALL APPLICANTS (INITIAL AND RENEWAL) FOR PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN MUST BE FINGERPINTED. INSTRUCTIONS FOR FINGER PRINTING WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.
** THE REQUIRED WRITTEN FIREARMS QUALIFICATION, IN ACCORDANCE WITH N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B), CAN BE OBTAINED AT MOST FIREARM RANGES THROUGH OUT THE STATE. A LIST IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE NJSP WEBSITE. https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/shooting-ranges.shtml **
** A NEW JERSEY PERMIT TO CARRY IS VALID FOR TWO (2) YEARS FROM TIME OF APPROVAL.
** IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.
The New Jersey State Police website provides information on the New Jersey firearms laws, transportation of firearms, and frequently asked questions. The site can be found by following this link: www.njsp.org/firearms
The United States Bureau of Alcohol, tobacco, and Explosives provides additional information on Federal Firearms and explosive laws via the following link: www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers