Firearms ID Card and Permit to Purchase
The firearms application for an Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and Permit to Purchase a Handgun is now electronic using the Firearms Application & Registration System (FARS). If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Firearms Unit at 908-789-6054 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application process for a Permit to Carry a handgun is still on paper. Click here for additional information on the Permit to Carry a handgun process.
Step 1: Visit the website www.njportal.com/njsp/fars (opens in a new tab)
Step 2: When you log on, you must enter the Westfield Police Department ORI# NJ0202000
Step 3: Complete the online application. You must complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer.
When deciding how many permits you would like to obtain, remember:
- One (1) permit is required for each handgun you are going to purchase (each permit is $2)
- Per NJ State law, you can only purchase one (1) handgun in a 30 day period
- Permits are good for up to 180 days (with renewal after 90 days)
- If you decide you want another handgun permit, and you did not get more than one initially, you will need to apply again.
* First time applicants, proceed to step 4. If you already have a firearms ID card, skip to step 5. *
Step 4: Make an appointment with IdentoGO for your fingerprints. Please note the following:
- You will be asked for a Universal Fingerprint Form. This form is included in the email confirmation you receive from the State of NJ. Please print this form and bring it with you to your appointment.
- After fingerprinting, IdentoGO may advise you to return to police HQ with the confirmation paperwork and receipt. This is not needed as we receive the information electronically.
Step 5: You will need to submit payment either in person or online. Permits to purchase handguns are $2 for each permit, and $5 for the Firearms ID card. Payment is not required until the ID card and/or permits are ready.
In person: Westfield Police Department Records Bureau - Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm except federal holidays.
Online: Click here for the online payment form
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the process.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to allow us to continue with your background investigation.
- This online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers and email addresses for yourself and references.
** THE FARS SYSTEM WILL NOTIFY YOU THAT YOUR ID CARD AND/OR PERMIT(S) ARE READY, BUT PLEASE WAIT FOR NOTIFICATION FROM THE FIREARMS UNIT BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO GO TO PAY. **
Additional Firearms Forms and information:
- State of New Jersey Voluntary Form of Firearms registration (SP650) (PDF)
- Certificate of Eligibility (Form to transfer of a Shotgun or Rifle, including black powder or BB Rifle) (PDF)
The New Jersey State Police website provides information on the New Jersey firearms laws, transportation of firearms, and frequently asked questions. The site can be found by following this link: www.njsp.org/firearms
The United States Bureau of Alcohol, tobacco, and Explosives provides additional information on Federal Firearms and explosive laws via the following link: www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers