DWC Executive Director Job Description
Responsible for overall day to day management of the Downtown Westfield Corporation (DWC) Special Improvement District, including the overall economic development strategy to deliver on the following key objectives: ensure the long-term vibrancy of Westfield’s historic downtown; mitigate commercial vacancies; and develop and execute promotional, marketing, and communication strategies to support and recruit businesses.
The Executive Director reports to the DWC Board, with direct accountability to the Chair and Vice Chair. The ED also oversees DWC staff, budget development and reconciliation, as well as Main Street reporting.
- Working directly with DWC Board and Committees to implement goals and initiatives of the SID and Main Street Program
- Keeping members apprised and updated on opportunities and trends in retail, development, parking, pedestrian safety, legislation, historic preservation, and other issues that could impact or improve the SID
- Conceiving, implementing, and executing all downtown promotions and initiatives
- Overseeing streetscape maintenance, improvements, signage, and economic revitalization projects
- Overseeing all DWC marketing and communication
- Identifying and applying for relevant grants; proactively liaising with all key stakeholders including the DWC Board, DWC Committees, the Westfield Mayor, Town Administrator and all Municipal Departments
- Serving as a visible presence with SID businesses, property owners, and the public
- Interacting with relevant professional organizations including Downtown NJ, Main Street, and the American Planning Association (NJ)
- Managing and updating a database of all SID properties, businesses, and owners
- Exceptional relationship skills with a proficiency in working across a matrixed organization
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders to develop short and long-term economic development strategies while managing the day-to-day execution of the current objectives for the Special Improvement District (SID)
- Strong networking capabilities with industry organizations and the ability to identify and adopt best practices locally
- Proven leadership skills capable of implementing an inclusive, diverse organizational structure that can be empowered to meet DWC goals and objectives
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail and the ability to multitask
- Exceptional communication skills, with strong written, verbal, and presentation capabilities
- Enthusiasm for being a “boots on the ground” daily visible presence within the SID
- Resourceful with a capacity to leverage all existing resources and identify new ones on order to deliver on key objectives
- Marketing and social media savvy
- Strong management and leadership skills; proven ability to troubleshoot, lead, and manage multiple projects
- Capacity to implement short- and long-term projects with strong follow through and execution discipline
Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of five years professional experience as a leader in economic development programs, an SID, and/or Main Street Program; foundation in planning, public administration, or commercial real estate. Advanced degree a plus. Proven track record with leading and managing teams with demonstrated ability to meet and surpass assigned key performance indicators. Experienced public presenter comfortable representing the organization at the local, regional, and state level in relevant professional forums.
Email cover letter and resume to Downtown Westfield Corporation at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 15, 2022.