- Youth Tennis
- Field Hockey
- Flag Football
- USA Sports Group
- Fashion First Workshops
- Mannerations Etiquette Classes
- LEGO Engineering Classes
- CPR & First Aid Training
- Safe Sitters Essential Babysitter Training
- Safe @ Home
- Brightwood Park Programs
- Built By Me
- Magic Workshops
- Hot Shots: Generally, ages 5-6 Geared towards general coordination skills. Fundamentals of strokes, grips, & footwork are covered.
- Level 1: Generally, ages 7 and up. Beginner to advanced beginner. Class is geared towards establishing a sound technical foundation of the basic grips, strokes and footwork with an introduction to some competitive games.
- Level 2: Generally, ages 9 and up. All strokes and spins covered, as well as basic strategy. Students in this class are capable of rallying but their serve may have some competitive experience.
NOTE: Ages 13 & up can take Adult Tennis
- Children in grades 2-8
- Learn proper warm up techniques, warm up games, relay races and runs of 100-400 meters, totaling 1 to 1.5 miles per session. Program will include timed runs for runners to improve their personal best times, which will be recorded, and cool down jogs and stretches.
- ALL levels (including first-time runners) welcomed.
Field Hockey League
- For children in grades 6-8
- A spring program that is part of the High School Development League (HSDL). The program gives Middle schoolers the opportunity to learn the game by playing it. Letting them learn positions & spacing on the field and getting touch time on the ball. HSDL stands apart from other traditional leagues, where players just show up & play. Each game will have a NJSIAA licensed High School Official officiating. This league is all about player development. This is not a high-pressure league. It’s about them learning the game while having fun.
- There will be 10 games total. Games will be played Monday – Friday (2 games per week) over a 5-6 week period (no weekends) and are played at local area towns including a few home games.
Field Hockey Clinics
- For grades 3-8
- Clinics are offered in the Spring, Summer, and Fall
- This program is directed by Westfield High School Head Field Hockey Coach Corrine Varhley in collaboration with the Westfield Recreation Department. Participants will learn to master the fundamentals of the sport and gain valuable experience. All Levels of Players are welcomed!!
Flag Football Camp
Our popular flag football camp is coached by WHS Coach Andzel & WHS players. Campers learn skills of passing, receiving, running with the ball, blocking & much more. Come learn & have fun - join with a friend!
- For children completing grades: 2nd - 8th
- Location: TBD
- Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Session 1:July 19 - 22 (Mon-Thu) (7/23 rain makeup)
- Session 2: July 26 - 29 (Mon - Thu) (7/30 rain makeup)
Our programs follow CDC/State/Health Department guidelines in regards to COVID-19 to ensure the safety of participants, staff and volunteers. Social distancing & masks will be worn when social distancing can not be observed but not while activity playing. Temperatures will be taken of all upon entering the program daily.
Anyone with high temperatures or showing any signs of COVID-19 will be required to leave. If your child is not feeling well or has had contact with a positive COVID-19 person, we ask that they stay home & inform the Recreation Department.
Procedures are subject to change based on CDC/State/Health Department guidelines at time of the program/activity.
- For grades 4-9
- Under the direction of Westfield High School Varsity Coach Bev Torok, players learn the fundamentals of the sport and gain valuable experience. The program will be run differently this summer. All levels are welcome.
- For grades 2-6
- The Westfield Recreation teams up with AFFA (Advance Fencing and Fitness Academy) for this fun and exciting sport. Fencing develops discipline, balance, coordination and sportsmanship! Participants will learn the basic positions, rules & techniques of the sport. No prior experience required. Equipment is be provided.
US Sports Group Programs
- For ages 3-7
- Outdoor sports classes.
- Sports that are offered: soccer, sports squirts, multi-sports, lacrosse, flag football, golf, t-ball, parent & me classes
- Register through USA Sports Group online for Westfield classes, camps, programs, and lessons.
Fashion Design & Sewing
For both classes go to the Fashion First website for Information or to register.
For grades 2 and up.
Fashion First participants learn how to construct a wearable garment from beginning to end: design & sketch, measure, make a pattern, cut, size, sew (on a sewing machine), finish and wear! All items are supplied and all projects are taken home. The last class includes a student planned Fashion Show where they show off their projects as they stroll down the "runway". All levels are welcome - first time sewers to advanced!
The vision of this program is to inspire students to follow their passion for fashion. They are taught the fundamental skills to not only learn how to sew and sketch but, also to build self-esteem. This program is a great creative outlet for all students.
Children learn proper etiquette techniques to successfully manage social situations. Some of the topics covered include: greetings and introductions, being a good guest and host, written correspondence and behavior at celebrations. Children learn through role playing, worksheets and fun games.
Children learn the etiquette of dining in a fun interactive and memorable manner. A four-course meal is consumed while etiquette instruction is provided. Participants learn how to correctly behave and manage a formal meal.
LEGO Camps & Workshops
- For grades 1-5
- These classes are taught by LEGO Master Corey Samuels (participant on Season 1 TV show "LEGO Master") who leads participants on a themed LEGO journey each day. Participants will spend their classes learning & exploring engineer-designed projects & strengthen their STEM skills with thousands of LEGO parts while having fun. All levels are welcomed (girls & boys).
CPR/AED and First Aid Training
- For teens and adults ages 15 & up.
- This is a Certification Class. Participants that complete all sections will receive a CPR/AED & First Aid certification card that is good for 2 years.
CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- For teens and adults ages 15 & up.
- This is a Certification Class. Participants that complete all sections will receive a CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certification card that is good for 2 years.
Safe Sitter- Babysitter Training
For grades 6-9
Safe Sitter® prepares students to be safe when they’re home alone, watching younger siblings, or babysitting. Students learn life-saving skills such as how to rescue someone who’s choking, and helpful information like what to do if there’s severe weather. The lessons are filled with fun activities and role-playing exercises. Students will use CPR manikins to demonstrate skills for choking rescue and CPR!
- Safety Skills: Students learn how to prevent unsafe situations and what to do when faced with dangers such as power failures or weather emergencies.
- Child Care Skills: Students learn tips to manage behavior that will help them stay in control of themselves and the children in their care. Students also learn the ages and stages of child development and child care.
- First Aid & Rescue Skills: Learning skills such as choking rescue and CPR is often students’ favorite part of the class. Students also learn a system to help them assess and respond to injuries and illnesses.
- Life & Business Skills: The ability to screen jobs, discuss fees, and greet employers will set students up for success now and in the future. Students practice these skills through various role play.
Safe @ Home
- For grades 4-6
- This class teaches children how to practice safe habits, how to prevent unsafe situations and what to do when faced with dangers such as power failure or weather emergencies while at home. Participants also learn a system that helps them assess and respond to injury & illnesses. This is an interactive program & each participant receives a workbook.
- For ages 5 and up.
- Outdoor classes perfect for children who love to get the chance to socialize with friends and jam out to their favorite music. We break down steps, add games, activities and cultural exploration elements into the class structure. Your child will have fun while learning, exploring and dancing.
Brightwood Park Programs
- All ages
- Join the Friends of Brightwood Park for fun family activities at Brightwood Park throughout the year.
Built by Me - STEM Learning / Virtual STEM Classes
- For grades 3-8
- Help your children grow into creators! Virtual STEM classes lead by Built by Me - STEM Learning Instructors. Each program is an interactive small group lead/supervised by trained & knowledgeable online instructors. Some examples of classes are: Game Designer with Scratch MIT and Become an HTML, CSS, and JS Web Developer.
This life changing program builds self-confidence and develops critical communication skills in a fun and unique way that is guaranteed to unlock your child's potential and impact the rest of their life.
As students focus on their presentation, they will learn the three parts that make up a magic trick. Participants build confidence and communication skills as they think critically, and work together. With a focus on life skills, the Discover Magic curriculum is a fun way to combine SEL (Social & Emotional Learning) & STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, & Mathematics)
Take an amazing adventure into the exciting world of magic. Learn how to make objects pass through other solid objects, read people’s minds, make objects disappear, and more. Kids build confidence, improve mental health and their communication skills while having fun.
Participants will receive and take home a professional unique custom designed magic kit from the Discover Magic Program and perform in a student show on Friday.