Summer Playground FAQ
1. When is registration for Summer Playground?
- Registration for Summer Playground will begin on February 20th, at 10am, and go until June 13th at 4:00pm, or until all of the site spots are filled. All sites have limited spots available, so we recommend registering early to secure your spot.
2. I don't live in town, can I register for Summer Playground?
- Unfortunately, Summer Playground is for Westfield residents only.
3. My grand daughter, grandson, niece, nephew, etc... is visiting from another town/state for the summer, can I register them in Summer Playground?
- Unfortunately, playground is for individuals who live in Westfield all year round.
4. What happens if all of the spots at my local school are filled? Can I register for another school that does have availability?
- Yes! Residents may register for any of the playground sites.
5. My child is entering Kindergarten in September, can I register him?
- No. The appropriate ages for playground are: Finishing Kindergarten in June 2024 - Finishing 5th Grade in June 2024.
6. We are going to be away for 3 of the 6 weeks of playground. Will you pro-rate the price?
- No. The very affordable playground price remains the same regardless of how many weeks you will attend. We do not prorate pricing.
7. Do you serve lunch?
- We do not serve lunch. All participants should bring lunch and a snack in a temperature controlled lunch bag.
8. My child has an epi pen, do I need to provide it to you?
- Yes. We have forms for individuals with EPI pens to have filled out and returned to us prior to playground. All epi-pens and the appropriate paperwork will be stored together in a cool, safe place. All of our Site Supervisors are trained on EPI Pen administration.
9. My child has a STEM camp in the mornings, can they come to playground after?
- Yes. You may bring your child to playground at any point in the day. We just ask that you walk your child to the welcome table and check them in with a staff member.
10. What is the procedure for picking my child up early?
- If you need to pick your child up early from playground, please park your car, and come to the front table to speak with a staff member, who will then radio for your child.
11. When does the ice cream truck come to playground?
- You will be provided a calendar of all dates that the ice cream truck comes to your child's playground.
12. Does my child need to bring money for the ice cream truck?
- Yes. Children should bring money, and keep it in a safe place so that they have it ready for the ice cream truck.
13. My child is allergic to nuts. How can I be sure that they will not be served ice cream with nuts?
- If you speak to your site supervisor and express your concerns, that individual will be sure to guide your child through the ice cream process. The ice cream truck will have designated items that are 100% nut free, available.
14. What should my child wear to playground?
- Each participant should wear comfortable, cool clothing, including shorts, t-shirts and sneakers. They may also wear a hat for protection from the sun, and have sunscreen applied before arriving.
15. What items should my child bring to playground?
- Refillable water bottle, sunscreen, towel, lunch, snack, flip flops.
16. Can my child be put into a group with his/her friends?
- We break the participants up into groups based on their grades. The groups are primarily for drop off and pick up. When they arrive at playground, they report to their group for attendance, and at the end of the day they go outside for pick up with their groups.
17. Can my child attend playground for a few days to see if they like it before we register them?
- Unfortunately, we cannot permit trial periods at playground. All participants must be registered before attending.
18. We are having some financial struggles, do you offer any financial assistance?
- We have a financial assistance form and policy. Please complete the application and submit it as soon as possible.
19. Do the participants get tshirts?
- All participants will receive tshirts.
20. Can my child bring a cell phone to playground?
- Participants may have cell phones on site, but they are to remain in their bags, and not to be brought out during playground. In the event they need to contact their guardian, they should notify their counselor, and the counselor or Site Supervisor will bring them somewhere quiet to call.
Please remember, the Westfield Recreation Department is not responsible for any lost, stolen, or broken personal items.
21. Is there a phone number that I can call to reach the playground Site Supervisor?
- Yes. Each location has a phone that is specifically for parents to call. These numbers will be available as playground gets closer.
22. What happens if I am waitlisted for a playground location?
- If you are waitlisted for a playground location, you will remain on that waitlist until a spot opens up. If you are not removed from the waitlist by May 1st, we advise you to register for another location.
23. My child has never been registered for playground before. Where can I send a report card for proof of grade?
- Please send your report card to firstname.lastname@example.org. In that email, please include your child's name, address, grade, and school you will be registering for Summer Playground at.
Town of WestfieldRecreation Department